Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Thesis Excerise and Thesis for Essay #3

Identify the Weak Thesis Statement Exercise:

1. The weak statement is statement A. The reason that this is the weak thesis is because it is a generalized statement. It involves process writing, and it doesn’t raise any questions or it is not assertive, just general fact.

2. The weak statement is statement A. This is weak, because it is just generalized fact. There is nothing more to it, everyone knows that in college you need to understand other points of view.

3. The weak statement is statement B. The thesis in statement B, again just deals with nothing but fact. Everyone knows that the jean’s industry targets young people as their audience, its obvious in all commercials.

4. The weak statement is statement A. The author of this thesis is just stating what Othello is about, which you can get from reading the play. It doesn’t explore any depth into the story or pick out certain aspects to raise questions about.

5. On this one, I feel like I am being tricked a bit. I am going to say that statement B is the better thesis because I was told once that you should leave out the words, I, Me, You… those kinds of personalized words. In statement B, the author gets right to the point, telling you exactly how it is, I feel that is more assertive, thus it is better.


My thesis for Essay #3:

Tim O’Brien wrote, “The Things They Carried,” not only to express the trials he faced in the Vietnam war, but also because he was spiritually lost and was searching for redemption.

This thesis is arguable. I make an assertive point that a big reason he wrote the book was because he was in search of a something spiritual. That is a bold claim, and can raise many questions. He also gives examples of what I am talking about in the sources that I have read and I plan on using. So I should have plenty to back up the content of this thesis. It is a bit specific but I feel that it is better to be overly specific then too broad. That is why this is a strong thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment